Monday, July 20, 2015

Ambulances, Lock picking and The Weirdest Week of My life

Hey ya'll :) 
This week someone picked our bedroom door lock with a knife, we thought we were going to get shot, and we rode in an ambulance. 

Haha. That makes our week sound a lot more exciting than it actually was. Let me back up and explain... 
Remember how a few weeks ago we locked ourselves out of our bedroom with the keys in there? Yeah, that happened again this week. But we were determined not to have to call the elders again because that would be very embarrassing so we went next door and borrowed some re bar, took the screen off the bedroom window, wrapped a wire hanger around the re bar and started to fish. Unfortunately that didn't work so we said a prayer and before we had even said amen, our neighbors were pulling into the driveway and asking if we needed help. They came over and picked our lock with a knife and we were in! Thank heavens for answered prayers and friendly neighbors. We're going to take them cookies to say thank you for helping us later today :) 
We were walking down the road and there was a semi-truck parked on the side of the road. All of the sudden, we heard a gun load. Or whatever you call that. You know, like the sound a gun makes right before it gets shot? Anyways. My life flashed before my eyes. I said my final prayer. And then I prepared to die. And then... the sound was actually someone just dropping a bunch of nails in a metal box. Good grief. 
We were walking home last night when a member drove by in the Red Cross ambulance she drives for work and she offered us a ride. So that's why I rode in an ambulance haha. It's a lot less exciting sounding when you actually tell the stories. 
In other news... we were doing role plays this week to practice effective street contacting. I was pretending to be a man picking mangoes and Sister Thurgood was the missionary. We died of laughter at her attempt to share the Plan of Salvation with me: "You're going to fall out of that tree and die. We can tell you where  you'll go when that happens." Hahahahhahahaha. 
We got ice cream for Sister Thurgood's month mark on Friday, and while we were sitting there just trying to enjoy our ice cream, two little sixteen year old boys sit down and start hitting on us. We had news for them: that was not happening. Good grief. The things that happen to us. 
Alright now for some spiritual stuff :) 
We were having a lesson and she asked a question that neither of us knew the answer to. But then I started to say we don't know and we'll have to look it up and let her know, and all of the sudden I hear myself explaining something about Saul and the Sanhedrin and Stephen and all of that and I don't remember knowing all of it but it was exactly what the woman needed to hear to move on with the lesson and that's how I know the Lord's promise that we will be given what we need to say when we need to say it is real. It was such a cool experience. 
We had a lesson last week and I learned so much from it. First and foremost, I learned the importance of honesty. When people aren't honest, it just leads to a whole huge mess and drama and strained family relationships and a bunch of other stuff. Honesty is so important! 
Alright. Next I really had my testimony of the law of chastity strengthened. I've seen so many times on my mission how important the law of chastity is. When a man and a woman are married and they don't start a family until after they are married, it eliminates so much drama and confusion and stress that comes from having kids outside of wedlock. I've been pondering a lot on the importance of temples and covenants and all of that since that lesson... and more and more I'm having my resolve to never settle for anything less than a temple marriage strengthened. I am so so so grateful that I can have the opportunity to start a family someday that will be eternal... and I'm so grateful that we have the chance every day to help other families become eternal too! Yeah. I hope that made sense haha. 
In other news, I love these verses from 3 Nephi 11. We read it in companion study this week, and they hit me more powerfully than they ever have before. Which is saying something, because 3 Nephi 11 is my favorite chapter and I read it ALL THE TIME. 
 "Behold, I am Jesus Christ, whom the prophets testified shall come into the world. And behold, I am the light and the life of the world;and I have drunk out of that bitter cup which the Father  hath given me, and have glorified the Father in taking upon me the sins of the world, in the which I have suffered the will of the Father in all things from the beginning."

I love those verses. I love Jesus Christ. I am so grateful for my Savior. I love you all. 
Bless up! 
xoxoxo, 
Sister Oman
Cookie making adventures



I love Jamaica because I get to see things like this

 We teach anywhere and everywhere... even along the railroad tracks

Rainbows are everywhere..now that it's raining more


Ice cream to celebrate Sister Thurgood's one month mark!!!


We got real live ice cream cones for sister thurgood's one month mark!! i haven't had real American ice cream since i left Nassau :) yummy! 

a view of old harbour town from an upstairs window

This is what the inside of a Jamaican Red Cross ambulance looks like! 



No comments:

Post a Comment