Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Follow the prophet, don't go astray :)

Hey ya'll! Hope everyone had a great week and you're all doing just fantastic :)
This week was another quite eventful week here in the good old Jamaica Kingston Mission! Monday wasn't actually p-day due to the Easter holiday, so we had our p-day on Tuesday and it just sort of seemed to make the whole week feel a little strange haha. You get so used to routines on your mission that when something little like that happens it throws the whole week off. (Not in a bad way of course, this week was still fantastic!) 
On Tuesday, we had a bunch of stuff to do to get ready for transfers but we were still determined to do something fun. Luckily, Sister Tuttle from Ocho Rios was with us for a few days before transfers and she had a car so we were able to get a ton done in just a few hours! That meant we still had time to go find a gorgeous little beach that we never even knew existed... and apparently no one else knew either because it was completely deserted. Score! Then we had to drive to Kingston so Sister Tafuna could go to the trainer's meeting... because she's training a new missionary this transfer :) 
Wednesday we woke up and got ready to go to Spanish Town for transfer meeting! I drove a big ol' truck... and it was the first time I'd driven in like three months so that was exciting haha. But we made it in one piece! Hallelujah. At transfers, I said goodbye to Sister Rampersad (my trainer)- she went home on Thursday! That's just so crazy to me because when she started training me she'd only been out six months. I also said goodbye to Sister Tafuna, and hello to my new companion, Sister Slater! She and I came out at the same time and it's been a blast serving with her so far. 
I love Old Harbour so much so far. Let me tell you why. 
1. I saw cows! I know that's a silly little thing but I haven't seen a cow in a year and it just felt like home when I saw it... I don't know. I get excited over silly little things haha. 
2. There's big old fields and green grass and pretty little streams all over the place here. I feel like I've died and gone to heaven. I've never felt so comfortable in an area so fast on my mission. I love the country areas. 
3. The branch is tiny. Like we don't even have a building, just a few little rooms upstairs in a shopping center and the sacrament room was as big as the room the gospel principles class was held in in Portmore. But the people are so loving and I just love them already... I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am to get to work here. I hope I stay here a really long time :) 
4. We have an insanely nice apartment... with HOT WATER! Ya'll. I took a hot shower for the first time in almost six months and holy moly it was amazing. 
I love Old Harbour. This really was an inspired transfer :) Hehe. 
Alright now for the spiritual stuff. Ever since conference I've been thinking about how blessed we are to have a prophet on the earth today. And then I came across a quote in the Liahona from April of this year that I absolutely just fell in love with, so I'm going to share it with you.
"The living prophet is more important to us than a dead prophet... God's revelation to Adam did not instruct Noah how to build the Ark. Noah needed his own revelation. Therefore, the most important prophet, so far as you and I are concerned, is the one living in our day and age to whom the Lord is currently revealing His will for us. Therefore, the most important reading we can do is any of the words of the prophet contained each month in our Church magazines. Our marching orders for each six months are found in the general conference addresses, which are printed in the church magazines. Beware of those who would pit the dead prophets against the living prophets, for the living prophets always take precedence." -Ezra Taft Benson
I just love this quote because it is so true. It's so important to sustain the prophet and all of our other church leaders... I don't know why I've been thinking about that all week but I have haha. Sustaining the prophet means we pray for him, we act on his teachings and guidance, and we stand up for him even when it seems no one else in the world is doing the same. I'm confident that it's only through following the prophet that we can find true peace and security in our lives, our families, and our homes. I love President Monson, and I'm so glad that we have him to lead us and guide us today! We are truly blessed :) 
I love you all! Have a fantastic week!!! 
xoxoxox,
Sister Oman 


Sister Tafuna and I

Sister Tafuna and I's last p-day... we went and found this gorgeous little beach that we never knew existed in Portmore.




More P Day Pics!









Jackfruit (it's amazing i love it), 

Saying goodbye to Nordia and Percy in Portmore

Brother Pommells with the crab we found in his driveway when we went to say goodbye tuesday night (yes, it's alive.)


Saying goodbye to Sister Rampersad (she went home last week)

A few more pictures at transfer meeting 


OLD HARBOUR IS GORGEOUS. 





Sister Slater, my new companion!



Cows!  Feels like home!



The bridge over the highway that we walk over every day 




Some cute twins (we're teaching their mom).

This mango was almost the size of my face. and it was delicious haha. 

Proof there's cows here. I love this place. Haha. 


No comments:

Post a Comment