Monday, January 5, 2015

Happy New Year!

Happy new year everyone! I hope ya'll had a blast ringing in the new year :) 
We celebrated new year's missionary style. We went to the ward party for our dinner hour, but of course we still had to be home at 9:00. I think our new year's eve can best be described by a little bit of my journal entry from that night: "It's New Year's Eve and I'm sitting at a desk in an 85 degree, mosquito filled house in a giant t-shirt with a moose on it. Hehe. Welcome to missionary life!" We set our alarm for 11:55 so we could wake up and watch the fireworks from our rooftop... but unfortunately, we set it for 11:55 a.m. which meant we woke up at 12:03 and caught just the last few fireworks. But it's okay because we still rang in the new year! 
What else... we've consumed approximately 70,000,000 gallons of sorrell juice in the last two weeks. Which I'm not complaining... I love sorrell. It's probably my favorite thing about Jamaican Christmas/New Year's. Yummy yummy yummy. 
We've pretty much been whitewashing this area all transfer, which means that we spend a while every day walking around talking to people trying to build up teaching pools. This week we were walking looking for less actives and talking to their neighbors. We felt prompted to talk to two specific people. So we did, and we set up appointments to come back the next day. When we got to both of the appointments... both people came out with a Book of Mormon! We had only left them with a pamphlet the day before, so that was surprising to us. Come to find out both had been taught in the past... but we can't find their teaching records in our area book so who knows how long ago that was. But anywho it just goes to show that if we rely on the Lord, He really will guide us to those people that need to hear this message right now! 
We were at the church a few nights ago... we were kind of cutting it close to get  home on time for curfew, so we were in a little bit of a hurry already. We were just about to pull out of the parking lot when we remembered that we had something that needed to get to Bishop that night. So we had to park and race back inside to give it to him. The whole thing only took up about two minutes, but it stressed us out because we were going to be late getting home. On the way to our community, a ton of police cars and ambulances raced by us. A little further up the road, we saw a HUGE car accident that had literally happened two minutes before we got there. We realized immediately that the Lord had protected us. If we wouldn't have taken the time to run those things back into the church, we could have been in the accident and who knows what would've happened? The Lord protects His missionaries!
We had trade-offs this last week. I went to Kingston with Sister Wilkinson and it was so fun! We taught so many awesome people, got insanely lost and ended up somewhere in the heart of Kingston at night, and had curried chicken (which is my new favorite food so that was good). It was a very fun trade-off and I learned so much! Woohoo for learning! 
I've been praying a ton about a few different things, and then yesterday for fast Sunday I fasted about that stuff too. Well you guys, prayers are answered. Right in the middle of fast and testimony meeting, a visitor from another branch got up to bear his testimony. He started off by saying that he had no intention of talking in a different ward, but he really felt like someone in the congregation needed to hear what he had to say. Then he just started answering every single one of my questions... exactly what I needed to hear. Heavenly Father is such a great guy... He always answers our prayers, even in ways that we never could have imagined. I mean, I'd never said a word in my life to that dude. There's no way he could have known what I was praying about... but God sent him there, he acted on the prompting, and he answered my prayer! 
Okay so I think that's about it this week! I love you all, I love this work, and I just love how close I've grown to my Heavenly Father over this last transfer! Prayers are answered, Christ is always there for you, and God and Jesus Christ want nothing more than for each of you to return to live with them one day... let's do all we can to make it there! 
Love you guys! Have a great week! 
xoxoxoxoxo,
Sister Oman 

Ward New Year's Party


Our blurry New Year's picture! This is how you look when you celebrate new year's on a mission :) 

A member's really stush house that we visited last week.  Stush....a Jamaican term for Posh!


Sister Walker & I

Sister Wilkinson and I....Trade-Offs!


Awkward District Pics + Donald!




The elders in our district figured out that I have a slight problem reading clocks, so they were kind enough to get me a giant clock poster.... along with instructions to practice telling time for 30 minutes a day after companion study. Ha ha. Good grief. 
Love you all! 


No comments:

Post a Comment