Sunday, December 14, 2014

Livin in Jamaica!


Teachin the rastas the Plan of Salvation... Livin in the reggae nation but it ain't no vacation. Serving the Lord on an island in the sea... the winds and the waves I hope you're thinking of me. 

 

Hey guys! So I hope you all had a wonderful week! This week was so packed full of adventures for me that I don't even know where to start. Traveling to Jamaica turned out to be full of adventure times! 

Monday was my last p-day in Nassau, so of course we had to spend it on Paradise Island at the beach. We had some slushies, played a whole lot of games of signs, and had a very good night. Then the rest of the week through Thursday morning was full of goodbyes and apple pies.(Haha that rhymed.) 

But seriously. Sister Reid made me an apple pie to say goodbye and it was ahhh-mazing. Best (and only) apple pie I've had on my mission! 

And secondly. I thought leaving home and saying goodbye was hard but it was nothing compared to how hard leaving Nassau was. At least when I said goodbye to all of you at home, I was pretty sure I would see you again. Saying goodbye to the people I've come to love over the last seven months in Nassau and not knowing when I would see them again broke my heart over and over again. Many, many tears were shed (not in front of people of course haha). I have to go back one day. Hopefully very soon. Those people are like family to me now. I didn't know it was possible to love people that much. Man. 

But anyways, Thursday was my flight to Jamaica! I flew by myself... the first time I've been completely alone in almost eight months and it was WEIRD. I didn't know what to do with myself! So I slept and taught a few people about the gospel :) Haha. The flight itself went really well... and then I got to customs in Jamaica. They wouldn't let me in the country because apparently my visa had expired when I was away. So... they asked me to come with them and locked me in one of those little interrogation rooms/holding rooms you see on the movies. Metal desk, one way mirror, and all. They asked me a bunch of questions, and then I asked if I could call someone. So I called Sister Wilkinson (she was the only one I knew that was picking me up haha), and she came in. They made her stay with me for a long time, and then the AP's came and helped sort everything out. So long story short, after about three hours I was finally released to come into Jamaica. 

Our very first stop was at Tastee for my first patty! Holy moly those things are heavenly. I'm in love. It's a pastry kind of thing with a delicious filling... I don't even know how to describe it it's just so good. 

But anyways, then we headed to my new house in Portmore! It's adorable. AND PINK! Hallelujah I love pink houses. Haha. 

I've spent the last few days meeting all the members and everyone in my new area... I love them all already, and I'm so excited to get to know them better! Yesterday we had ward council before church, and I was just astounded at how many strong leaders and members we have in this ward! I'm so excited to serve here... the Lord has truly blessed this area, and I see so much potential here! Now it's just up to us to work and work and work until we find those who are prepared to receive our message :) 

We went on splits with members yesterday after church to visit less actives... that's the first time I've ever done a split on my mission, and it was after only being in the area for three days! Luckily the places we went were really close to the church so it wasn't too hard to find haha. But I just loved it! The members here are so willing to work with us and help us out... I just can't get over how awesome it is haha. 

We watched the Christmas devotional last night at the church, and it was so good as usual :) We have our zone Christmas party this Thursday, the ward party next Saturday, and a stake Christmas concert next Sunday... it's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas! I'm excited for the next few weeks for sure :) 

In other news... I have to learn how to drive stick over the next few weeks! Anddd the wheel is on the opposite side of the car than what I've ever driven. So we'll see how all of this goes... any prayers would be appreciated! 

I think that's about it for this week! I love you and miss you all! Thank you for everything you do for me and all the missionaries worldwide! You guys are the greatest. 

xoxoxoxo,

Sister Oman 
Last P-Day in Nassau.  I'm going to miss those beaches!







Sitting in a hole on the beach in Nassau.

The view out my window on the airplane

Tastee.  Yummy! Yummy!

Patty and coco bread! yummy yummy yummy! 

Our house! That's the truck I'll be learning to drive over the next few weeks. 

More pics of our house.






My new companion, Sister Walker

We decorated our house for Christmas!

Please note the fact that there are MOUNTAINS here. I'm in love!

Look at what side the steering wheel is on! That took a while to get used to haha
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment